PDA

View Full Version : Can objects and walls/floors have bump maps?

Manga_Moon
25th May 2008, 1:48 PM
I enjoy making stone walls/floors and objects, but they just look flat! I was wondering if there was a way to assign a bump-map to an object or a wall or floor. I know some walls in the game have bump maps, such as the white brick, so it is possible.

Any help would be appreciated, and thanks in advance, MM :)

Jasana_BugBreeder
25th May 2008, 4:03 PM
Walls/floors can have bumpmaps, if you:
1) clone them via Object Workshop, so they'd pull the bumpmap texture along - Homecrafter loses it even if original wall had it
2) open XOBJ resource in them, and change value of 'filename' field to 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa' exactly (an easy way to remember - open a wall created by Homecrafter, and copy it from there)

Objects can have bumpmaps if they are bumpmap-enabled. AFAIK there are two ways to make object bumpmap-enabled currectly:
- if using Milkshape & UniMesh, add 'HasTangentArray:' comment to each subset
- if using anything that supports smd format (3dsMax, Blender, XSI), check the 'Create BumpMapNormals' when importing to SimPE

bluetexasbonnie
25th May 2008, 4:16 PM
Jasana & Manga -- Thank you.

Manga - for asking questions I didn't even know needed asking. Especially appreciated since the answer opens up some additional creator possibilities.

Jasana -- for sharing your knowledge so readily and in such an easy to understand way. I have an 'assorted object info' document. Quotes from your answers makes up at least half of it.

Manga_Moon
25th May 2008, 8:15 PM
Thanks so much Jasana! You don't know how much I appreciate this!

Jasana_BugBreeder
25th May 2008, 9:05 PM
Quotes from your answers makes up at least half of it.Erm... I don't know what to say :o but sharing information is essential - it's what took us at the level we are, and will take us further :) and if it doesn't need to test/study something, it's easy to answer quickly ;)

Actually, I had missed the most important part - the field which has to be changed in XOBJ :( that's 'filename'. Updated previous post.