PDA

View Full Version : Eyedropper tool in the catalog


Lethe_s
15th Dec 2007, 9:07 PM
It's actually taken two years before i knew i had this problem, but now it's bugging me, maybe someone with knowledge of the catalog can shine some light on this.

Whenever i make a repository set, i can't use the little eyedropper tool on the meshes to take me straight to the object in the catalog.
It works for the 'master'. When the master is placed in the game, you can take the eyedropper tool, click on the master and be taken straight to the object in the catalog.
For slaves, nothing happens when you click on the placed mesh.

Any idea why this is, and how to stop it? There's a number of maxis objects that borrow textures from other objects, but that seem to have no problems with the eyedropper tool.

For making repository sets, i still use the exact same method that JWoods described ages ago. (http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=82227)

Numenor
16th Dec 2007, 2:36 PM
As far as I know, the eyedropper relies on the object GUID, in order to grab from the catalog an identical object. This means that if - for whatever reason - the slave object isn't normally visible in catalog (I'm thinking, for example, to the diagonal windows, or "residential" objects placed using cheats in a community lot), the eyedropper may have problems.

However, from what you write, I think you are talking of normal objects buyable from the catalog, and this puzzles me...
I've tried in my all-EP game, using the eyedrop over some Grand Trianon objects (the apotheosis of slave objects, lol!) and I always got the right object picked from the catalog, including the recolours.

If you point me to an object of yours that suffers for this problem, I'll check it: perhaps JWoods' tutorial may need a dust-wiping :lol:

Lethe_s
17th Dec 2007, 9:22 PM
Dear Numenor,

Thanks for your answer. It did give me inspiration to start looking.
The odd thing I found, is that my *older* repository windows do not have this problem.

My biggest mistake was not in the repository, but in the diagonals. You see, Iím a creature of habit, and still use the same pdf for linking diagonals that I downloaded two years ago (and which is now outdated, I got the new system quite wrong)

In short, problem is fixed :). I linked everything up properly now. I had completely missed the Grid Align GUID, which seemed to be causing all these problems.