PDA

View Full Version : Objects which also shows in neighborhood view

frillen
30th Sep 2007, 2:00 PM
I'm creating an object that I want to be visible in neighborhood view, so I used a statue as my clone base because most of them already do.
My object does show in neighborhood view + from neighbor lots, but they show with full mesh & texture detail and I'm afraid that can be a little hard on lowend computers!
Is there any way to make the object appear with lower details like Maxis objects do in neighborhood view?

Inge Jones
30th Sep 2007, 2:12 PM
I don't know all the details, but I think you have to make a LOD material and small LOD texture for your object. I think the game takes care of reducing the mesh detail. I don't recal seeing any special meshes for neighbourhood view

frillen
30th Sep 2007, 4:42 PM
Actually that was my thought too Inge, but some of the original objects do not contain LOD material files, but they do have low detail version for neighborhood view anyway :wtf:
And those with LOD materials files aren't being used if you look at the Scenegraphic viewer :wtf:

Does anyone know of a cloned object which has low detail in neighborhood view?
I want to use it to find out how it's done :D

EDIT:
I cloned the venus statue, gave it a new guid & saved it.
I placed the cloned statue next to the original on a lot, saved and looked at them from neighborhood view and guess what!!
The cloned statue had full details while the original had low detail, so I guess that the game doesn't create low detail mesh by itself for neighborhood view :rolleyes:

Dr Pixel
30th Sep 2007, 11:20 PM
If you do want your object to have LOD mesh for neighborhood view etc. you must create a separate LOD GMDC for it, and the LOD textures yourself.

This thread explains how to do it - http://www.modthesims2.com/member/showthread.php?t=195136

frillen
1st Oct 2007, 12:06 AM
If you do want your object to have LOD mesh for neighborhood view etc. you must create a separate LOD GMDC for it, and the LOD textures yourself.

This thread explains how to do it - http://www.modthesims2.com/member/showthread.php?t=195136
Thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction Dr Pixel :up:
So if I understand it correctly, I need to make another package with same names inside the package + a LOD90 suffix containing the following files:

GMDC
GMND
TXMT
CRES
SHAPE
TXTR (if I want the LOD package to have a texture)

If so can these files be included in the main package instead of a LOD90-package?
(I hate having 2 packages for 1 object) :D

Jasana_BugBreeder
1st Oct 2007, 6:22 AM
So if I understand it correctly, I need to make another package with same names inside the package + a LOD90 suffix containing the following files:

GMDC
GMND
TXMT
CRES
SHAPE
TXTR (if I want the LOD package to have a texture)Yes, but pay attention to TXMT resources since they have a bit different rule of adding LOD90 suffix then others.

I don't know if you can include all resources into one package :( probably yes, but be careful with FixIntegrity after that.

frillen
1st Oct 2007, 10:58 PM
I'm gonna try if I can make it work, I'll let you know if I'm successful at making it work in 1 package - Thank you all for hints & tips :)